Avoid yellowing nails through home remedy
There are many factors which can cause nail diseases. Discoloured, misshaped nails can be an indicator of various medical conditions like diseases of the liver, lung and kidneys and nutritional deficiencies. However, yellowing nails need not necessarily due to internal disorders. Here are some other factors that can lead to discolouration of nails:
If fungus sets under the nails, it might discolour your nails. Yellowing nails because of fungal infections gradually become flaky and also start emitting a foul odour as the fungus breaks down the components of the nail. An oral anti-fungal medication from your physician should solve your problem though.
Smoking never did anyone any good. Besides causing serious health problems, it can also cause yellow fingernails.
Always wearing nail polish
Perplexed why your nails are yellowing despite getting a manicure-pedicure regularly? Your obsession with looking well groomed might be the main culprit for your yellowing nails. Continual use of nail varnish deprives the nails of the oxygen needed to maintain their natural colour. No harm in getting a regular manicure-pedicure but give the varnish a miss to let your nails breath every now and then.
Restore and treat
How do you restore the natural colour of your nails? Get your nails checked from a physician to rule out the possibility of a fungal infection and follow these simple steps for sparkling, healthy nails:
1. Soak your hands in a small bowl filled with warm water and soap for 10 to 15 minutes. This will loosen up dirt or grime on your nail bed making cleaning easier.
2. Using a nailbrush with soft bristles clean your nails. Make sure to scrub over the nail bed as well as on the underside of the nails.
3. In another bowl, make a paste of lemon juice and baking soda. Scoop some of this mixture with your nailbrush and again scrub over the nail bed and the underside of your nail. This helps whitening nails a great deal.
4. Make sure to mositurise your hands and nails after this process since lemon can be drying.
5. You can also use a cotton ball dipped in lemon essential oil on your fingernails and cuticles. It will gradually brighten your nails without drying them out. It also helps in nourishing your cuticles. Nails will gradually start looking healthier and whiter.
6. Always use a good quality base coat under your nail polish.
7. Avoid using bright reds, blacks and other dark nail paints too often, as they tend to stain nails more than lighter colours.
8. Refrain from applying nail polish at all times. Give your nails a break in between polishes.
9. Avoid using nail polish after every manicure/ pedicure. (Right) Dark colours like red and black tend to stain nails more than the rest.